Cradling Drill #5: Cradling/Dodging “Traffic” Shuttle
- Have players lined up in two lines facing each other (approximately 15 metres apart), outside of the shooter positions, in one or both ends of the floor. The first player in each line begins with a short run forward.
- Variation #1 (10 min): "Dodge Your Opponent." Players in both lines either have no balls (Variation #1A), or have balls (Variation #1B), and the first player in each line cradles toward each other practicing one of the following: "stutter steps,” "jukes (left & right)," "face dodges," "roll dodges (left & right)," "toe drags," or "swims."
- The next player in line doesn't go next until the players ahead of them have made their "move" and run to the far-side line. (Draw Diagram)
- Variation #2 (15 min): "Light Pressure." Same as the above variation except only one player from one line starts with a ball. The first player with the ball passes to the far line and then approaches with varying degrees of pressure; starting with "dummy defense" and advancing to aggressive pressure.
- The defender applies 3 seconds max of pressure, with the halfway point between the lines also being a cut-off point for the defensive pressure.
- After passing the defender, the ball carrier passes to the next player in the far-side line, eventually becoming the defender the next time through the drill.